okay, true story: anthro may be the death of me. why? because my husband is going to kill me if i don't stay out of there!!!! :)
the other day, i was poking around on pinterest (surprised? yeah...didn't think so. i start twitching if i go too long without getting a fix.) and found THIS:
|thanks to pinterest, i found this tutorial by kristen f. davis who is |
a painter based in atlanta. fabulosity. all of it. all of her:)
AAAHHH! A FAUX METALLIC LETTER TUTORIAL. heaven has opened up and poured its sweet grace on me once again. fabulous.
the BEST part of this tutorial is it is SO easy!
|here are your supplies: |
letter (or frame, whatever you want!)
black craft paint, silver metallic craft paint
cheap-o craft brush. CHEAP-O is important,
as you will tear this thing to shreds.
well, at least i did.
(i apologize for the mini-picture!)
paint your letter black. please forgive me that i did not use my mad iPhone picture-taking skillzzz to take a picture of this. i know, you're upset. we'll work through it. promise:)
after you paint your letter black, DRY BRUSH your silver paint on. you will get better the more you do this and here are some tricks i found from trial and error:
- when painting on the silver, if you use long, hard, flat strokes, you get the rough look of the metal.
- let each coat dry. it makes the dry brushing MUCH easier. if you don't, you'll pull through to the cardboard and you don't want some nasty brown spot on your anthro-inspired letters!
- if you do non-uniform strokes (ie not just horizontal, not just vertical) you get a "rougher" more metal look, and that's what i wanted. feel free to do whatever you like because it's yours!
- if you think it's too uniform, use your finger and buff it out before the paint is dry.
- if all else fails and you don't like it...PAINT OVER IT! that's the beauty of this!
as always, if you see anything i've done that you like, feel free to contact me and i'd be happy to make it for you!!!! i'm not going to charge a ridiculous amount...just enough to justify my pinterest addiction to the hubs:)